Supermercado Rivera Salmonella Outbreak: Salmonella suspected in carnitas sold at Chicago store
At least six people who ate carnitas and other food they purchased from Supermercado Rivera in Chicago during February suffered food poisoning that was probably caused by salmonella. The Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH) is investigating the salmonella outbreak after people who purchased food on February 23 or 24, 2019, at the kitchen counter of the store became ill.
Supermercado Rivera is located at 4334 W. 51st Street in Chicago. Health officials performed an environmental assessment of the store after the illnesses were reported. CDPH representatives then provided guidance on safe food handling practices and environment cleaning in an effort to prevent additional illnesses among consumers. Salmonella can be a result of poor food safety procedures, poor hygiene practices among food handlers, or improper cooking of food.
Customers who ate carnitas or food purchased from the kitchen counter of the store on February 23 or 24, 2019, may have been exposed to salmonella. CDPH is advising consumers not to eat any carnitas or other food they purchased from the kitchen counter at Supermercado Rivera on February 23 or 24, if they still have it in their refrigerators or freezers.
According to Salmonella Lawyer Ron Simon, salmonella symptoms usually last four to seven days, with many victims recovering without treatment. But, Simon adds, others require hospitalization and can suffer side-effects for years to come. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that Salmonella causes approximately one million illnesses and 450 deaths in the United States each year. CDPH has also issued an alert to area physicians about the outbreak, providing medical guidance.
If you are experiencing severe diarrhea, symptoms of dehydration, or high fever, seek medical attention. Most people who are infected develop diarrhea, fever and abdominal cramps between 12 and 72 hours after eating contaminated food.
CDPH is monitoring the situation closely for additional reports of illness. The food suspected of being contaminated with salmonella is no longer being sold by Supermercado Rivera.